Feet

I went to the podiatrist last night for a second opinion on my Morton's Neuroma since the cortisone shot from my orthopedic doctor didn't do squat.

He felt the neuroma on the left foot right away (between the 3rd and 4th toes). He was surprised I said the second and third toe for my right foot since usually they are in the same spot on both feet. Sure enough, he didn't feel anything there but did on the 3rd and 4th (I felt it too). Perhaps the cortisone shot didn't work because there was no neuroma between the 2nd and 3rd which is where I got the shot. He said the pain could have radiated to the second toe.

He doesn't recommend the alcohol schlerosing shots. From what he's seen there isn't a high success rate. One of the reasons I was considering them is because a side effect of the surgery is permanent numbness in the toes. He said this will occur with the shots as well since its essentially killing the nerve. Another reason I was considering it was I was under the impression (from others who have had them) that I could get them now and continue with my marathon training. He said that was doubtful. He knows someone who is having them currently and there is no way she could run. GRRRRR.

He wants and MRI and another appt in two weeks. He wrote a script for an anti-inflammatory to take daily. I will most likely get another set of cortisone shots at my 2 week appt.

I've decided that I will get the surgery after the marathon (most likely January '09). Since the surgery is performed on the top of my feet I won't have too many days off my feet. I forget what I read about how long before I could run, I hope not too long!!!

5 comments:

Theia said...

(((Heather's feet)))

OK, that's kinda gross. But you know what my intention was! :)

librarianchick said...

ow ow ow ow ow...

good luck!!!!

Maria said...

I'm glad to hear there are some options for you.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I get queasy just reading about shots. I'm glad you found some potential solutions. I really hope it works out and that your time off won't be too long or painful. So will training for the marathon aggravate it? Or is it ok to train still?

Jen said...

Heather are you back to running? Hope your quad is feeling better!

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template