Change of pace

Today we did our long run at the Columbia Trail. I haven't run there since the spring. It's a 7.5 mile rail trail and its beautiful, mostly flat and slight decline from mile 5 on. My RP is having some ankle issues so she wanted to avoid hills and it's taper time so only 7-8 miles on the schedule.

First couple of miles my calves were tight. I think this was because of the tempo yesterday, I noticed it on my cool down mile yesterday too. After that I felt great. My legs felt a little tired around 3.5 miles but then everything just opened up and I felt great. I could have gone faster but my RP kept asking that we slow it down because her ankle would start bugging her. While our splits aren't that great it was great to know I could go faster and longer with absolutely no effort. The only negative was the humidity was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I was soaked after the first 1/2 mile. I didn't enjoy that too much but it didn't seem to bother my legs or lungs too much.

Here are the splits:

11:10
11:00
10:41
10:50
10:50
10:38
10:20
10:03

I've decided to treat the PDR as a progression run. I'm going to split it up into 3's and leave the last mile for whatever I feel like. This isn't a goal race for me and I have two friends completing a half for the first time so I don't really care about my time so doing a progression sounds like a good plan.

After I stopped by my oldest friends house and visited with her and her baby. On the way home I stopped at the farm stand for my weekly veggies and fruits. I need to clean the house but I think I'm going to relax and read for a while. There is an Italian festival going on that we might take Avery to later but we're pretty much winging it today.

2 comments:

Jen said...

So I'm the odd woman out. I love to run tempos on the track. Do what works for you! Play around with it.

I don't do 2 speed work outs a week. Instead, I'll do a medium length run--like 7-8 miles and that works for me. So much of it is playing around and seeing what your body responds to.

sauconRunner said...

I'm just following my coach's orders on the 2 speedwork sessions a week. Since they are relatively new to me I'm enjoying the challenge, sortof.

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template