Tootleks and recovery

Yesterday were fartleks. 3 for 3 minutes each 1m w/u 1m c/d for a total of 5 miles. I did them at the beginning of each mile so I could keep track of the time I spent doing them.

We don't mention the word fart at home we say toot so Mike said to call them farleks (and didn't believe it was really a word until I pulled it up on wikipedia). I mentioned it today on kickrunners and someone said I should call them tootleks, so there you have it.

They went well. I did them at home which meant hills but I picked my least hilly route. I did the mile warmup really slow and then hit the first one on a gradual uphill at 9:58 pace. Not that fast, oh well (as you'll see this again tells me I need 2 miles of warmup). The worst was that the recovery for this was a steep hill. Ughhh. Next one was 8:58, now that's better. It was pretty much flat for this one. Next one was more uphill than the first and I did it in 9:03. Did my cooldown and a 1/2 mile walk. Not to shabby.

Today was 5 miles easy. I stayed up last night watching The Other Boleyn Girl and didn't get to sleep until almost 1:00 so getting up at 5:15 was not fun, thank goodness I have to meet my RP at her house or I would have slept in. It was soupy humid this morning and I was tired so it wasn't a fun run. Typically on this route I get really warmed up at around 2.5 or 3 miles and book back in but today my pace stayed pretty consistent, only increasing about 15 seconds the last mile.

Tomorrow is a well needed rest day. I'm actually enjoying the speedwork (never thought I'd hear myself say that). And I'm very glad my coach decreased my weekly mileage from what I was doing during base training because its leaving my legs tired and sore. Having Friday off is perfect because by my Saturday morning long run my legs feel rested and the runs are great. Hopefully once I get some more speedwork under my belt my legs won't feel that tired, even if the rest of me is from staying up late watching the olympics!

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template