Dr's visit #1



So I went to the Sports Medicine Doctor today. I have such severe swelling she said she can't rule out a fracture yet. She saw a shadow on the x-ray on my ankle that she didn't like as well. She prescribed lymphedema therapy to reduce the swelling and gave me a brace to wear to stabilize the ankle. Right after the visit the therapist had a cancellation so I got right in. Basically its massage of the leg to get the fluid moving around in the right direction. She told me that she didn't want me wearing the brace but to wrap it for a week. She handed me instructions on how to do it myself and then wrapped the leg (see above picture). Basically its 3 layers of bandages over a compression sock. The bandages aren't like ace bandages because they aren't flexible so its more like a cast. My toes were swollen as well so she wrapped them up too.

I wear the wraps for a week and I have to pump my foot and do air ABC's a few times a day. I go back to her next Monday and then right after another massage I'm off to the sports medicine doctor again. Hopefully the swelling will be down and we can figure out the damage. The doctor said if its a fracture I won't be allowed to run for 4 to 6 weeks at least but if its a sprain she'd try to get me back to running as soon as possible. I won't have time to catch up on mileage for the marathon but at least I would be able to run.

Oh and I'm allowed to do the recumbent bike so I will be doing that all next week along with weights and Pilate's so I can stay in shape.

3 comments:

solarpowered said...

:( I'm so sorry, Heather! Take care of that ankle and you'll be back at it in no time!

Doctor Err said...

ah shit.
that totally sucks.
i am really, really sorry to hear that.
if it makes you feel any better (and i know that at this point my clumsiness wont be enough) i have had hands and arms just like that a couple of times because I tripped over the pup. like i took headers over him that resembled going over the handle bars.

Rudy Martinez said...

EEK! Heather!!! At least if the bandage is more like a cast, can we come up and sign it?

Oh, don't trip over Blue.

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template