The simple life

There is a cube at work where we have a book exchange. People leave books they have read and then you pick up one if you need something new to read. Recently I picked up a few books, one being trilogy of Amish life.

It was a novel so its not all just facts about the Amish. It's written by a women in Lancaster who isn't Amish. Anyway, as I've been reading these it has made me put things into better perspective about life, time and material possessions.

I'm not materialistic but I like things although I don't need them. I like clothes, shoes, bags and gadgets. I've spent way too much loot on these things in the past. I need to stop impulse buying. I see something I like and I don't think twice, I just get it. Then my basement fills up with stuff over the years that is in great condition but I know longer want around the house. This is changing as I type.

Why does everyone feel the need to have their calendars full? I've been struggling with this for a few years now. I am guilty of this. I want to see my friends and I have trouble saying no to getting together with them but then I'm miserable because I'm running all over and not chilling at home with my family in the house I paid too damn much for to not enjoy. I hibernate in winter so that I can recuperate from running all over during the summer. I just stay home, sit in front of the fire with the kid and relax. I have also made sure that I have one weekend a month, no matter what time of year that I have nothing going on. I don't spend that weekend cleaning and stuff like that. I spend it cuddling with Avery and the dogs, watching movies, sitting on the porch and enjoying some peace and quiet (as much peace and quiet as you can have with a 4 year old and 2 dogs).

I'm also making sure I don't enroll Avery in a million activities. I know you want your kid to experience a lot and find their niche but seriously, dragging your kid to something every night is going to mess them up. They are going to turn into those adults that can't sit still and chill. Avery is taking ballet now. The kid has been begging to for over a year. It's once a week. She also digs horses so I take her once a month for a lesson. That's enough. The week that she has both together is exhausting for her and me. I want her to go outside and play, use her imagination, run around like a nut, get dirty in the yard. I don't want her always in the car going from one place to another and having everything laid out for her so she doesn't have to use her imagination. Yeah, dance class is cool but watching her dance around the house to her own songs she's made up is so much more impressive to me right now.

I really think I could dig the simple life. Some of you who know me might doubt that because of what I have and stuff but really, I could give that all up for a little cottage or cabin somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I could give up the big house, the car, the fancy gadgets, all that. I just need my family, my dogs, my sneakers, a garden and lots and lots of books.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I CANNOT STAND parents who overschedule their kids! Drives me crazy!

I love our time at the lake because it's so simple there. I wish I could figure out a way to make life here more like there.

sneakersister said...

I think you should work on freeing up your busy schedule year-round. Try it for one year and see what happens.

Theia said...

I can totally see you in a mountain cabin... as long as there's an opportunity for fun and excitement nearby if and when you decide you want it.

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template