Ouch

Last nights track workout didn't go exactly as planned. Avery and I drove over to the high school and they were having football practice on the field so I decided to go the extra 2 miles to Lehigh University's track. It wasn't too busy. I got Avery all setup on her blanket and started my warmup. I did 1.25 miles. I was supposed to do 4x1200.

I ran the first one and by the end of the 800 I was feeling pain in my right hip flexor, quad and hamstrings. Bad pain. I finished the 1200 w/ plenty of lung but not enough leg. I did it in 5:42 which is 7:42 pace. I did a recovery walk with Avery and got ready to go again. All I got was a 400 at 1:53 (8:13 pace). I was really hurting and pretty discouraged. Oh and I had to go to the bathroom (just #1) and there weren't any around. This just added to my frustration.

I figured I would switch the workout to 400's so at least I could get the speedwork in. I started for the next 400 and it became a very painful 200 at 1:05 (8:12 pace). There goes that plan!

I did a 200 meter cooldown and called it a day after some hardcore stretching with Miss Avery.

From that point on my hip flexor has acted up every time I get up from a seated position and I feel the need to limp for a few steps.

Guess its time to invest in a foam roller!

I did 3 recovery today. I was supposed to do 4-5 but I do these at work and they are paving the road I run on so I couldn't go all the way out (it was closed) and had to just do a couple developments to even get in 3. I stayed very slow the first 1.5 miles and found that I naturally sped up quite a bit at the end again.

Hopefully my tempo run tomorrow will be better than the last two days!

4 comments:

sneakersister said...

How were the flexors during today's run? Ice those, even if it feels better today, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck on your tempo tomorrow!

Theia said...

Don't forget that you're ramping up both your mileage (long runs) and your speed right now, so it's natural that your body is talking back to you. Play it smart, be good to yourself, and try again next time. No big deal. It's still really early in your training, so no need to hurt yourself.

Jen said...

Ouch that sounds painful! Do you do stretching after your runs? I sometimes have flexor issues too and find that if I routinely stretch them after every run it helps. I HATE stretching--I really do--but as soon as I slack off, something always creeps up. Hope it feels better tomorrow!

Her Roo-ness said...

where does your hip hurt? i've blown out both so i'm all over good exercises for them.

also, don't use your foam roller the first time in front of the kiddo. she'll get a choice language lesson if you do.

that's where hank has learned his worst swear words.
:)

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template