Base Building observations

This week has been a tough week for running. Tough in a good way I think. It's the most mileage I've had to do so far and the week before a cutback week so I'm sort of beat. The schedule for the week is M8/T4/W8/TH4/SAT13 but I'm doing M8/W8/TH4/F4/SAT13. On the one hand I'm feeling stronger as 8 doesn't as long mentally and my time has gotten a bit faster (around 5 to 7 minutes faster). On the other hand, my legs are a little tired but in a good way.

Yesterday wasn't as humid as Monday so around mile 4 I was feeling really good and decided to open it up a bit which felt great but then once I tried to go back to my slow pace my hammy's were aching and I still had a new mammoth hill to get up at mile 6! Learned my lesson!

Other things I've noticed with the base building is that I'm not dead tired after my long runs, I don't even feel like napping! I also don't feel sore the next morning anymore. The one good thing about the plan I can see is that putting in the miles now and putting them in slow is helping me to avoid injury and burnout. By the time I'm ready for some sort of training plan it will be a nice change of pace to do a tempo run or whatnot and I won't have to worry so much about how long the runs are since I'll be used to them.

I'm very pleased with my consistency lately too. I am doing the mileage and running the amount of days I'm supposed to. Sometimes I will have a one minute thought that I really don't feel like going out there (especially with the heat) but I put it aside and go out and do it and do the distance I am told to do. That's big for me. I think knowing I don't have to worry about a pace helps me accomplish this.

6 comments:

sneakersister said...

I think you are doing an awesome job so far this summer! Keep it up.

librarianchick said...

Heather, i don't think I realized how many miles you are putting in!!! WOW!!! Do i sense a marathon in your not too distant future???

:)

sauconRunner said...

I'm on the fence Maureen, trying out this base building to see how I do and then make a decision in August as to whether I can handle marathon training.

Jen said...

WTG Heather! Sounds like some great running! Are you starving all the time?

Can you explain base building to me? I'm not familiar with it and it sounds interesting!

Theia said...

Heather, as I told you on email I'm very impressed by how much you're running. Keep up the good work and be smart about it!! You're going to rock whatever you do this fall. :)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Heather - Your basebuilding sounds alot like my LHR training. Long slow runs. It is great for building up the mileage, injury free. Keep it up!

Copyright © 2008 - sauconRunner - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template